Hey there my cruising enthusiasts and welcome to my post where we will check out my 3 best cruises from New York for families. One of the best things about taking a cruise from New York is that you’ll have the opportunity to visit a variety of destinations without having to worry about transportation or accommodations.
With many ships departing from the city’s ports, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from as well. So whether you’re looking for a short weekend getaway or a longer adventure, there’s a cruise that’s perfect for your family.
Best Cruises from New York for Families
If you’re looking for the best family cruises from New York, you have plenty of options to choose from. Here are three of the top cruise lines that cater to families:
1. Disney Cruise Line
Disney Cruise Line offers voyages from New York City for four to six nights visiting destinations such as Bermuda, the Caribbean, Puerto Rico and the Eastern Caribbean and is a popular choice for families with kids of all ages.
The ships are designed with families in mind, with plenty of activities and entertainment options for both kids and adults. Kids will love the Disney-themed shows, character meet-and-greets and kids’ clubs, while adults can enjoy the spa, adult-only areas and fine dining options.
For families keen on experiencing Disney magic combined with the allure of the open sea, a Disney Cruise Line voyage departing from New York is an unparalleled choice.
On a Disney cruise departing from New York. you can expect the following enchanting amenities:
- Pools: Themed pools such as Goofy’s Pool and AquaDuck, the thrilling water coaster.
- Staterooms: Family-friendly rooms with a touch of Disney enchantment, ranging from inside staterooms to luxurious concierge suites.
- Dining: Rotational dining with themed restaurants like Animator’s Palate, Enchanted Garden and Royal Court.
- Disney Theater: Captivating Broadway-style shows, movies, and character performances.
- Senses Spa & Fitness: A serene spa for adults complemented by a state-of-the-art fitness center.
Disney cruises are filled with unique experiences:
- Character Experiences: Memorable moments with beloved Disney characters from classic tales to recent hits.
- Oceaneer Club & Lab: Interactive spaces for kids with themed activities and imaginative play zones.
- Teen Lounges: Dedicated spaces like Edge and Vibe for older kids.
- Pirate Night: A deck party celebration with fireworks, ensuring a magical night at sea.
- Port Adventures: Expertly curated shore excursions combining adventure and Disney storytelling.
Overall, a Disney Cruise Line journey from New York is an enchanting family vacation, making dreams come alive on the high seas.
Check out my post: How to Choose the Right Travel Insurance for a Cruise
2. Royal Caribbean
The ships are packed with activities and entertainment options including rock climbing walls, mini-golf courses, zip lines and water parks. There are also plenty of dining options to choose from, including kid-friendly options like Johnny Rockets and Ben & Jerry’s.
Royal Caribbean promises families an exhilarating adventure filled with modern amenities and endless activities.
- Pools & Splash Zones: A mix of family pools, kids’ splash zones and thrilling water slides.
- Staterooms: Contemporary rooms ranging from cozy interior cabins to spacious suites with sea views.
- Dining: A culinary journey from the Windjammer buffet to specialty restaurants like Wonderland and Izumi.
- Royal Theater: Broadway-style shows, movies and live entertainment.
- Vitality Spa & Fitness: Relaxing spa treatments and a fitness center.
- Adventure Ocean: Tailored programs for kids with activities.
- Teen Zones: Dedicated spots for teenagers to socialize and engage in activities.
- Rock Climbing & FlowRider: Adventure activities like the rock wall and surf simulator.
- Shore Excursions: Tours and adventures for families in each destination.
- Evening Entertainment: From dance parties to parades, evenings are always lively.
A Royal Caribbean cruise from New York guarantees families a dynamic and memorable high-seas experience.
Please note that cruise line companies are constantly updating their cruise itineraries so please check with the Royal Caribbean website for current options from New York.
3. Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Cruise Line is known for its “Freestyle Cruising” concept, which allows passengers to dine and do activities whenever they want. From New York, they sail to various destinations including the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Bahamas, New England and Canada with plenty of activities for kids and teens including water slides, video arcades and kids’ clubs.
Adults can enjoy the spa, casino and live entertainment as well.
For families seeking flexibility, freedom and fun, Norwegian Cruise Line departing from New York offers the “Freestyle Cruising” experience.
- Pools & Aqua Parks: Multiple pools, hot tubs, and exciting water slides like the Free Fall.
- Staterooms: Varied options from studio cabins for solo travelers to the luxurious Haven suites for families.
- Dining: Over 20 dining options from buffets to specialty restaurants like Teppanyaki and Cagney’s Steakhouse.
- Stardust Theater: A range of performances from musicals to comedy acts.
- Mandara Spa & Pulse Fitness Center: A place to rejuvenate and stay fit.
- Splash Academy & Entourage: Kids’ clubs with age-appropriate activities and a teen zone.
- Sports Complex: Ropes course, mini-golf and sports courts for active fun.
- Game Shows & Parties: Engaging family game shows and themed deck parties.
- Shore Excursions: Curated tours and activities in each port of call.
- Nightly Entertainment: Live music, dance parties and more.
With its freestyle approach, Norwegian Cruise Line from New York provides families with the flexibility to design their perfect cruise vacation.
Please note that cruise line companies are constantly updating their cruise itineraries so please check with the Norwegian Cruise Line website for current options from New York.
Check out these: Best Cruises from New York
Why Choose New York as a Cruise Departure Point
If you’re planning a family cruise vacation, New York is a great departure point to consider. Here are a few reasons why:
New York City is one of the most accessible cities in the world, with three major airports and excellent public transportation. Whether you’re flying in from another part of the country or driving from a nearby state, getting to New York is easy and convenient.
Wide Range of Itineraries
From New York, you can choose from a wide range of cruise itineraries that will take you to some of the most exciting destinations in the world. Whether you want to explore the Caribbean, sail to Canada and New England, or take a transatlantic voyage to Europe, there are plenty of options to choose from.
New York is a great destination for families, with plenty of attractions and activities to keep everyone entertained. Before or after your cruise, you can explore world-famous landmarks like the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building or enjoy a Broadway show or a visit to one of the city’s many museums.
Cruise Line Options
New York is home to several major cruise lines, including Norwegian Cruise Line, Carnival Cruise Line, and Royal Caribbean International. Each cruise line offers a unique experience, so you can choose the one that best suits your family’s needs and preferences.
Best Time to Cruise from New York
If you’re planning a family cruise from New York, you’ll want to know the best time to go. The good news is that New York is a year-round cruise port, so there are plenty of options to choose from. However, some times of the year are better than others for families.
One of the best times to cruise from New York is during the summer months, from June to August. This is when the weather is warm and sunny and schools are out of session, making it the perfect time for a family vacation. During this time, you can expect to find a variety of family-friendly cruises departing from New York, including those to the Caribbean, Bermuda and Canada/New England.
Another great time to cruise from New York is during the fall months, from September to November. The weather is still pleasant, and the crowds are smaller than during the summer months. This is also when you’ll find some of the best deals on cruises departing from New York. If you’re looking for a family-friendly cruise during this time, consider a Canada/New England cruise, which offers stunning fall foliage views.
If you’re looking for a winter getaway, December to February is a great time to cruise from New York. While the weather may be chilly in New York, you can escape to warmer destinations like the Caribbean or Mexico. Many cruise lines also offer special holiday-themed cruises during this time, which can be a fun way to celebrate with your family.
Choosing the Right Cabin for Your Family
When it comes to choosing the right cabin for your family, there are a few things to consider. First, think about the size of your family and how many beds you’ll need. Some cabins have bunk beds or pull-out sofas to accommodate more people.
Another thing to consider is the location of the cabin. If you or your family members are prone to seasickness, you may want to choose a cabin on a lower deck and in the middle of the ship where there is less motion. Alternatively, if you want a view, you may want to choose a cabin on a higher deck or with a balcony.
You should also consider the amenities that come with the cabin. Some cabins have virtual windows that show footage from outside the ship, while others have larger windows or balconies. Some cabins also come with extra perks like concierge service or access to exclusive lounges.
Finally, consider your budget. Cabins can range from budget-friendly to luxurious, so it’s important to choose a cabin that fits within your budget while still meeting your needs.
By taking these factors into consideration, you can choose the right cabin for your family and ensure a comfortable and enjoyable cruise experience.
Check out these: Best Fans for Cruise Ship Cabins
There you have it, my 10 best family cruises leaving from NYC. I hope it has been helpful and as usual, please let me know of your experiences here or if there are any other options that I need to add.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, or corrections or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time.